I like to use acrylic paints because they are so versatile and can be used just like watercolor. Acrylic paint is water-based meaning it dissolves in water. You only need a small amount of paint mixed with water and you instantly have converted the acrylic paint into watercolor!
Here are five reasons that I love using acrylic paint as watercolor!
- Acrylic paints can be diluted with water, but are water-resistant when dry. Depending on how much the paint is diluted with water, the finished painting can resemble a watercolor or even an oil painting. To get a watercolor effect, dilute just a small amount of paint into the water. Mix it well and you have created a whole new medium to paint with.
- Use the thinned down pigment in a spray bottle. I have even used a small amount of paint in a spray bottle of water to mist on tiny specks of color in fields or for falling snow. Hint, make sure your painting is laying flat when you do this! These techniques would not be possible unless diluted to a watercolor consistency.
- Bolder Colors are possible. Acrylics paints can be used in place of watercolors because acrylics dry closer to the desired color which is slightly darker, while watercolors dry lighter and the colors are sometimes unpredictably.
- Watercolor techniques can be used. The wet on wet is a favorite technique use by watercolor artist. To apply this technique, apply a layer of color to the watercolor paper. While it is still wet, add another color. The two colors blend beautifully almost as if by them-selves to create soft subtle variations in color.
- Acrylic techniques can be used. Later add more objects with a thicker version of paint to create objects that appear closer or of more detail. You can also do the reverse where you add a layer of watercolor wash over a painting to soften it by subduing the colors whereby a fog or mist is added
Acrylic paints are so versatile, that I only purchase them because I can create so many different effects with one medium of paint. Turning acrylics into watercolor is so easy that there is no reason to buy both.